A Brief History
The Claiborne Parish Public Library officially began in March 31, 1951, with both the Homer (Main Branch) and the Haynesville Branch being dedicated on the same day.
Bookmobile services for the parish began soon after.
Miss Doris Lessell was appointed by the Louisiana Library Commission as the first librarian and the Claiborne Parish Police Jury appointed the first Library Board of Control.
The Main Branch at that time was located on Hwy 79, north and the Haynesville Branch occupied a portion of the building at its present location. In 1957 the Main Branch moved to the
Square and in 1989 the Haynesville Branch was renamed Joe W. Webb Memorial Library in memory of the Board’s first president and continuing member since 1951, Mr. Joe W. Webb. In
1991 the entire building where the Joe W. Webb Memorial Library is now located was purchased and the building renovated.
In 1987 the Main Branch moved into the first new building it ever occupied on 1.79 acres that were donated by the Claiborne Parish School Board. Twenty three years later plans for remodeling and additions were made. In 2014 the construction/remodeling were completed and
the Main Branch reopened in July of 2014.