History of CRLS
Chickasaw Regional (Public) Library System began in 1960 after federal funds became available for library service to rural areas. In addition to ad valorem taxes, funding was supplemented by the generosity of the Daube and Merrick families. By 1964 Love County joined the system with Carter and Johnston counties as a Big Red Bookmobile made stops to rural areas plus kept the branch libraries supplied with new materials.
In 1966 the name Chickasaw Library System was chosen and it is important to note that the name was given to the Library System because the original counties were in what was historically known as “Chickasaw Territory”. There has never been a connection with the Chickasaw Nation (Tribe). At this time Davis and Healdton were also added to the system.
By 1981 a new 9,800 sq. foot building was erected at the current location after a parcel of land was offered by Mrs. B. Mordy and Charles Champion.
CRLS serves nearly 97,000 citizens with 8 libraries in Ardmore, Atoka, Davis, Healdton, Marietta, Sulphur, Tishomingo and Wilson and is governed by a 13-member Board of Trustees.
Patrons may use computers, comprehensive archival microfilms of the Ardmoreite Newspaper dating back to 1893, high speed wireless Internet, Netbooks, numerous magazines, DVDs, CDs and over 73,000 printed materials. Interlibrary loans, computer classes, children’s story times, summer reading programs and the use of meeting rooms is available to library card-holders.