For the many people who use the library each week, library services and programs are indispensable. Your public library is a lifeline in our community. The library has the resources available to improve the lives of parish residents; it connects this community to information, technology, and opportunities.
Click on the links below to learn more about the library's various programs and services.
• 1,349,520 people have walked through the library’s doors.
• 69,444 reference questions have been answered.
• 1,550,870 items have been checked out.
• 269,888 patrons have used the library’s electronic resources.
• 1,624 programs have been implemented, where we’ve seen over 116,000 in attendance.
• In 2016, a library branch was built in Campti to serve residents in the NORTHEASTERN part of the parish.
SERVICES & PROGRAMS
• The newest & most popular books, audiobooks, ebooks, DVDs, & magazines available for check-out!
• Summer Reading Program for children, teens, & adults!
• 24/7 WiFi available at both the Main & Northeast Branch!
• Weekly programs and classes for children, teens, & adults, focusing on education, literacy, creative exploration, & recreation!
• Library Express: homebound delivery service!
• Online databases offering downloadable e-books, movies, & music, and access to language-learning materials, real-time online tutoring, Louisiana legal forms, and genealogy research!
• Bookmobile & Schoolmobile service throughout rural parts of the parish!
• Weekly story times at both the Main & Northeast Branch!
• Public computers for in-house use; laptops & wireless Internet devices for check-out!
• Meeting room for public use!
• The Natchitoches Parish Library is almost entirely (96%) supported by this 10-year dedicated PROPERTY tax.
• This parish-wide tax is not a new tax, nor is it an increase!
• This tax is a RENEWAL of the same 8 mills tax that voters approved in 1997 and 2007.
• This is a DEDICATED tax which means funds generated are used exclusively for the operation, maintenance, and support of the library which includes providing books, DVDS, the Summer Reading Program, School and Bookmobile services, online database access, Homebound delivery, story time, & present and FUTURE branch services.
• Without this tax renewal, the library could not operate. It would be forced to close its doors and discontinue all services.
• Homestead Exemption applies to this tax. NO PROPERTY TAXES are paid on the first $75,000 of the value of your home.
• 2018 will mark 80 years of the library providing quality programs and services to the parish.
WHAT WILL THIS TAX RENEWAL PROVIDE?
• Additional branch in the WESTERN part of the parish;
• Upgraded technology available to library patrons and staff;
• Modernized security for the entire library and its collections;
• Increased outreach throughout the parish;
• Enhanced collections, programming, and services to patrons of all ages, educational and economic levels;
• Ongoing maintenance and operation of present facilities and services;
• Cover normal inflation of such items as insurance, utilities, library materials, etc., over the next 10 years.
HOW MUCH WILL THE LIBRARY TAX COST?
If your property is currently exempt under Homestead Exemption, you will not pay any library tax. The schedule below is the cost to homeowners at various valuations.
LIBRARY LOCATIONS TO SERVE YOU
|450 Second St.||3129 Hwy. 71|
|Natchitoches, LA 71457||Campti, LA 71411|
|(318) 357-3280||(318) 476-3280|
(LIBRARY MILLAGE RENEWAL)
SUMMARY: AUTHORITY TO CONTINUE TO LEVY A 10-YEAR, 8 MILL PROPERTY TAX FOR THE PURPOSE OF ACQUIRING, CONSTRUCTING, IMPROVING, MAINTAINING, RENOVATING, OPERATING AND EQUIPPING PUBLIC LIBRARIES IN NATCHITOCHES PARISH, INCLUDING AUTOMATION AND OTHER EQUIPMENT, LIBRARY MATERIALS AND FURNISHINGS.
Shall the Parish of Natchitoches, State of Louisiana (the "Parish"), continue to levy and collect a special ad valorem tax of eight (8) mills on all property subject to taxation within the Parish (an estimated $2,600,000 reasonably expected at this time to be collected from the levy of the tax for an entire year) , for a period of ten (10) years, beginning with the year 2018 and ending with the year 2027, for the purpose of acquiring, constructing, improving, renovating, maintaining and/or operating public libraries in the Parish, including automation and other equipment, library materials and furnishings therefor?