WELCOME to the
Shelby County Public Library
This historic Carnegie Library was constructed in 1903. Shelbyville was one of 1,419 communities to receive a $10,000 grant from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie to build a public library. To be eligible for the grant, communities had to demonstrate need for a public library, provide the land and pledge financial support for services and maintenance. Need was shown through the library first organized by the Woman’s Club which had a few book shelves and 200 books in the old fire station at Fountain Square, on the corner of Fifth and Main Streets. An old graveyard was chosen as the library site as the land had reverted back to the city after a church had relocated. The sum of $1,000 was pledged for the library’s yearly support.
There have been four additions to the original building, the most recent renovation and expansion project was completed in 2008. This project added a two-story addition of 5,500 sq.ft. to the west side of the building, which brings the total space of the building to 22,000 sq.ft. This new addition has been utilized for public use. The upper level allowed for the expansion of computers, additional shelving space, for the book and the audio visual collection.Plus separate areas for teens, reference, the genealogy collection and a quiet study room.The addition for the lower level provided a large meeting room for 150 people. The room has been named "The Hudson Room" and is used for adult and youth services programming.