• Farwell History
Library History

The Ladies Library Association was incorporated in 1879.  The "library" operated out of a local store for the first few years of its existence.


In February 1882 the Farwell Land Company gave the property to "The Ladies Library Association" to establish and build a local library. The community donated labor, material, and books. The present building was completed in January 1883.                                          

On January 1, 1888, the Library was dedicated and declared free from debt.  

Besides a library, the building was used for area church suppers, the Rebekah Lodge. Later, the Farwell Women's club held meetings in the building. For a few years, the Methodist and Congregational Ladies Aids held 10 cent dinners here. During the World War, the activities included Red Cross work. In 1931 the Township rented the building for a public Library until the present one was built. During this period the Library suffered a fire and was badly damaged, and the public responded again with labor and donations.

Surrey Township rented the building for their Library from the Ladies Library Association until they moved into a new building in 1975, at which time the original library was turned over to the Farwell Historical Society to be used as a museum.

The current library building was dedicated in 1976 and quickly proved to be too small.  Through the grant writing efforts of Library Director, Jane Eisenhauer, a wing was added in the mid-1980's and a second wing was added in the mid-1990's.  These additions provide much-needed space for the library to better meet the needs of the community.

Surrey Township Public Library began using a computerized check-out system in 1988.  The database was housed on site and the system ran through Apple IIGS computers.
In 2004, Surrey Township Public Library became the first library in Clare County to provide a 24/7 Wi-Fi network to the public.

In late 2006, the Library Board voted to partner with other local libraries by upgrading to a shared Integrated Library System.  The CoMPaSS partnership allowed STPL and the other partner libraries to share resources and materials, thus increasing the scope of services to all of our patrons.  STPL opted to also join MeLCat (Michigan eLibrary Catalog) at the same time.  MeLCat provided statewide access to materials through an interlibrary loan and delivery system.  The library had to close for eight weeks while a team of volunteers and staff re-cataloged every item in the building to meet the requirements of the MeLCat system.  The library re-opened in January 2007 with state-wide access available to all patrons via MeLCat and reciprocal borrowing and use locally through CoMPaSS.

2011 was a busy year at the library.  Through donations made in memory of John Frisbey, Don Pitchford, and James Weighart, the library erected a new custom sign and landscaped the front of the building.  In the fall, a new computer area was opened that expanded the public computers from four to fourteen with grant funds from The Broadband Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP) and the library connected to the county-wide fiber-optic network.

In 2012 the Library Board voted to earmark funds for the digitization of the library's local newspaper archives.  The digitized editions of the Farwell newspaper (various name changes over the years) is available in the library on a dedicated computer.

One of the Library Board's wish list items was checked off in 2014 with the purchase of two lots adjoining the library property to the north.  With a matching grant from the Herbert H. & Grace A. Dow Foundation, the library was able to purchase the property and begin construction of a pavilion for use by the library and its patrons.  The Larry L. Laverty Library Pavilion was dedicated in July 2016.  The pavilion has been used for all summer library programs and by countless local residents for family reunions, birthday parties, baby showers, and family picnics.

In the fall of 2016, the library experienced a minor interior make-over.  The circulation desk was reconfigured and moved, a wall was erected to create office space for the Library Director and a comfortable seating area was carved out in the west wing near the non-fiction area.  The Marilyn Stanfield Children's Room was moved to a larger location on the west side of the library.  Renovation of the new children's room included murals painted by the library's cataloger, Breea Jewell-Hockemeyer.

Due to a generous donation from the estate of Edwin "Bud" McNeilly in July 2018, the library purchased a 3D printer and created a new service program entitled "Laptops for Learning".  Laptops for Learning is aimed at library patrons who are actively attending college and are in need of a laptop for the semester.  In November 2018, introductory training was made available to the public on the use of 3D printing technology.  Surrey Township Public Library was the first library in Clare County to provide access to this new technology.

 

Board Member Library Director Years Elected/Served
  John Saxton 1897-1901
  Mrs. N. D. Watkins 1901-1916
  Mrs. Aaron Irwin ?
Mrs. Della Stinchcombe   Feb 1, 1922
Mrs. Minerva Richmond   Feb 1, 1922
Mrs. Hattie Masten   Feb 1, 1922
Mr A.J. Chappell   Feb 1, 1922
Rev. LeRoy Whitney   Feb 1, 1922
  Ella M. Carpenter 1958
Mrs. Casper Clark (P)    
Mrs. Don Pitchford (VP)    
Mrs. William Flower (S)    
Mrs. Wilmot Carpenter (Treas)    
Mrs. Al Young (T)    
Mrs. James Stanley (T)    
  Mrs. Florence S. Town 1960-1961
  Bertha Babcock 1961-1968 (?)
Inez Bentley   1961-1968
Flossie Rassat   1961-1964
Olive Badger   1961-1968
Reba Flower   1961-1984
Anna Wood   1961-1964
Mrs. Cecil Davidson   1961-62
Jean Sandow    1965-1968
Alta Parsons   1965-1968
  Joanne Eisenhauer ? - 1978
John Tomshack (P)   1977-1978
Don Luce   1977
  Suzanne Towery 1978-1979
  Jane Eisenhauer 1979-2006
Sandra Hundey   1980
Raplh Parker   1982-1984
Jean Bole   1982-1984
Jim Embrey   1982-1984
Marilyn Stanfield   1982 - 2004
Dorothy Sheponski   1982-1984
Larry Laverty   1986-present
Ron Frazen   1986-2002
Homer Stinchcombe   1986
Al Terwilliger   1986
Tom Grabmeyer   1989
Bob Kube   1989
Jaynie Smith   1989
Nancy Schofield   1986
Janette Haring   1986
Albert Shanlian   1991
Marilyn Pitchford   2004-2010
Bertha Davis   2004-?
Jane Jaime   2004-2008
Marilyn Updyke   2004-2005
Eileen Schaar   2004-2005
  Jean Gaskill 2006-present
Sue A. Tynan   2006-present
Gina Hamilton   2006-2012
Mary Reuther   2006-present
Jane Eisenhauer   2008-2009
Cecile Sparta   2009-present
Karine Graham   2011-2017
Patricia Hartnell   2012-present
Anna Philbert   2018-present