History of Tucumcari Public Library

Around 1925, six women joined together, and dared to dream and aspire to a lofty purpose. Their enthusiasm resulted in the founding of the Tucumcari Public Library. In 1927 the ladies banded together to form the Coterie Club, with the primary goal to have a library. The ladies, working diligently without pay, sponsored cakewalks, tag days, food sales, talent shows, as well as tea and bridge benefits. The club was given donations of books and money by the communities clubs and organizations. 

In 1928, The Coterie Club was able to open the first Tucumcari Public Library in a room loaned to them by the Masonic Fraternity. 

In 1929, the library was growing, and was moved to the old hospital on Main Street, and in 1937, the Coterie Club rented two rooms and the basement of the community center. In that year, the Coterie Club also incorporated in order to obtain state funding. 

The ladies worked diligently for 30 years, without pay, before their dream of having a new library became a reality. In 1958, the city built a new building located at 225 E. Center, and at that time also assumed operations of the library. It was not long before the library and the community needs outgrew that building. In 1971 the post office was renovated and expanded to become the building where the library is presently located. 

In 1989, the library was renamed the Kenneth Schlientz Memorial Library, after the mayor who was in office when the renovation and addition to the library was implemented. In 1997, the city commission unanimously approved shortening the name to the Schlientz Memorial Library. In 2002, it was changed to the Tucumcari Public Library in Memory of Kenneth Schlientz. 

Today, the library is a success story. A story that is the result of years of contributions, of time, money, books, equipment, and many factors from the individuals and community organizations of the City of Tucumcari.