FAQs for Reference
Q. Does the library have any special collections?
A. The Greenwood Library has a genealogy and local history collection, as well as microfilm of the Index-Journal (our local paper) and U.S. Census records for SC, all of which does not circulate. Greenwood County also has a special parenting collection in the Children’s Room that does circulate.
Q. How can I access the Internet?
A. The Internet is available at all of our branches. You just need to have a valid library card and you cannot have any fines or fees over $5 on your record. Visitors can present a driver's license. You must also fill out a computer use agreement form the first time you come to the Ninety Six and Ware Shoals branches. This form must be filled out by a parent/guardian if a person is under 18 years old. Click here for the Computer Use and Internet Access Policy.
The Greenwood County Library System has wireless access available for laptop computers with wireless capability (built in on most newer laptops).
Q. Can I print things off of the internet?
A. In Greenwood, Internet computers are connected to a color laser printer--the cost of printing is $.20 per page. The Ninety Six branch also has a color printer for printing.
Q. What if I just need to type a paper or resume?
A. The Greenwood Library computers are equipped with Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint.
Q. Can I ask a reference question over the phone or via e-mail?
A. We do offer reference help over the phone and e-mail. Call us at (864) 941-4655 or email at ReferenceDesk@greenwoodcountylibrary.org. We do charge for extensive research requests. The cost is $25 per hour for research plus $1 per page photocopied. If the person wants the material faxed, it is $1 per page. The payment must be received in advance.
Q. Is there any way to get full-text articles, even if the library does not own the magazine, journal, or newspaper in which it appears?
A. Yes, we have access to several databases sponsored by DISCUS, many of which offer full text articles. Go to the Research section and go to All Databases  to see what is available. If the article that you want is not available from one of these, we can request it through Interlibrary Loan (Interlibrary Loan section under Services). These databases can also be accessed from your home or office computer. Just call or stop by any one of the libraries for this school year's state-wide DISCUS username and password.
Q. Is there any reference help for genealogy information?
A. The Reference staff can offer limited help with genealogical queries, and volunteers with genealogy experience staff the Genealogy/Local History Room regularly. Look at the Research Section and go to Genealogy/Local History.

Back to About Us