About the Garcia Building
Photo and text compliments of Lupe Sciamanna
A BIT OF HISTORY ABOUT OUR BUILDING
The GARCIA BUILDING housed THE MISSION CAFÉ (LA MISION). It consisted of a large bar combined with booths and tables to serve lunch and evening meals from a menu of various Mexican and American dishes, a large dance hall with an orchestra pit for ballroom dancing and to serve banquets, a small room with a bar for private uses, and a large kitchen. On the north side there was a bowling alley with three lanes. It was also a Greyhound Bus stop.
This building was built by Joe Garcia in 1941.Well known throughout the state, it was the setting for many family celebrations, hosted Old Timers' functions, as well as business and Government gatherings.
Over the years it was a stopping place for the big bands and well known artists such as Fats Domino, Bob Wills, Mexico's popular artists; Tito Guizar, Pancho Avita and many others.
In 1952 Joe Garcia built LA FONDA RESTAURANT and continued with the MISSION CAFE until 1962. Since then the building has housed Safeway and Ben Franklin stores.
In 1989 the building was officially established as GARCIA CIVIC CENTER-LA MISION, a facility for citizens of Deming to enjoy.
Finally May 10, 2005 THE GARCIA CIVIC CENTER became the home of MARSHALL MEMORIAL LIBRARY.