FAQ CONCERNING LIBRARY OPERATIONS DURING PRESENT CLOSURE PART FOUR
11. What if my library card has expired or needs updating? If you call us, for now, we will update your card over the phone until June 30 or we reopen to the public. If you come in person, bring your ID and library card and we can update it for a year. Non-resident cards will be extended until June 30 or until patrons may come inside the facility again by phone or at the door.
NEW PRESCHOOL STORYTIME PROGRAMS ONLINE
ROANOKE RAPIDS PUBLIC LIBRARY IS RECORDING WEEKLY PRE-SCHOOL STORYTIME PROGRAMS BEGINNING THE FIRST WEEK IN MAY. CHECK THEM OUT ON THE ROANOKE RAPIDS PARKS AND RECREATION FACEBOOK PAGE. A NEW ONE IS POSTED EACH WEDNESDAY.
DURING THE LIBRARY CLOSURE, HERE ARE RESOURCES YOU CAN USE IN PLACE OF THE LIBRARY'S IN-PERSON STORYTIME PROGRAM.
Click link below to go to the resource.
FAQ CONCERNING LIBRARY OPERATIONS DURING PRESENT CLOSURE PART TWO
4. Can I pick up an item I have on hold? Yes, Call the Library for more information.
5. Can I put items on hold while you are closed? You may call and place holds. For the present, staff will answer the phone between 10 am and 5 pm Mondays through Thursdays and 10 am and 2 pm on Fridays. Also, during the closure, you may email requests for holds at email@example.com. There is a limit of 3 hold requests daily.
6. What about meetings and programs scheduled at the library? All meetings and programs are postponed until the library reopens.
7. Will Wi-Fi be available outside the library’s physical building? Yes! Outside the library, Wi-Fi will be available 6 days a week from 10 am to 5 pm Mondays-Thursdays and 10 am – 1:45 pm Fridays and Saturdays. We cannot offer Wi-Fi printing during the closure. As a reminder, our Wi-Fi network is unsecured meaning a password is not required. I do not recommend using the Wi-Fi network for information where privacy should be maintained.
NORTH CAROLINA BROADBAND SURVEY
The City of Roanoke Rapids and Roanoke Rapids Public Library invites you to participate in a statewide survey offered through the N. C. Department of Information Technology's Broadband Infrastructure Office and the Friday Institute for Education Innovation at North Carolina State University. The survey is designed to gather information on locations in the state without adequate internet access and speeds. The survey takes about 5 minutes to complete. Information on how to complete the survey is available at Roanoke Rapids Public Library. Thank you for your participation.
UPDATE OF LIBRARY OPERATIONS
At the present, patrons still will not be permitted inside the building. Beginning on Monday, May 18, Roanoke Rapids Public Library will begin services in these areas: check out of materials, copies (limit of 20) and tax forms by curbside in the parking lot or at the door. If patrons desire to check out library materials, we encourage them to call between 10 am and 1 pm on Monday through Thursday. Materials will be ready for pick up 1 pm to 4 pm Monday through Thursday and from 10 am to 1 pm on Friday. We encourage patrons to call the staff when they come to pick up materials. Please have your library card ready. The staff will bring the material to your vehicle and you may open your trunk or door to minimize physical contact. Please practice physical distancing if there is a line at the door. The book drop will remain open at all times until further notice. If you have library materials to return including DVDs, they should be returned in the book drop on Roanoke Avenue near the front door.
FAQ CONCERNING LIBRARY OPERATIONS DURING PRESENT CLOSURE PART THREE
8. What about printing and copy services? During the closure, the Library will not be able to offer these services.
9. Will the library still be distributing tax forms? Yes. Printed federal tax forms provided by the IRS and forms the library prints for state taxes and other federal tax forms will not be available. The Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service announced on March 21 on their website that the federal income tax filing due date is automatically extended from April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020. The NC Department of Revenue likewise announced they will extend the April 15 tax filing deadline to July 15 for individual, corporate, and franchise taxes to mirror the announced deadline change from the Internal Revenue Service. For federal tax forms and information, go to www.irs.gov or call 1-800-829-3676. For state tax forms, go to https://www.ncdor.gov/taxes-forms/individual-income-tax and click on the right side download forms and instructions or call 1-877-252-3052.
10. Are there other library resources available to me while the library is closed? Yes! Lots! Look on our website for more information. In addition to our digital collections, there will be other sources listed. If you have a Roanoke Rapids Public Library card, go to the bottom of our home page and click on Home Grown e-Books, OverDrive Download, or NC KIDS Digital Library. Call the library at 252-533-2890 and select prompt 4, if you have questions or need assistance. The library’s website is www. http://www.youseemore.com/ROANOKERAPIDS/.
LIBRARY REVISED SCHEDULE
ROANOKE RAPIDS PUBLIC LIBRARY WILL OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING SCHEDULE BEGINNING MONDAY, NOVEMBER 2 AT 10 AM. THE REVISED OPERATING SCHEDULE WILL BE MONDAY, WEDNESDAY & FRIDAY, 10 AM - 3 PM and TUESDAY & THURSDAY 1 PM - 6 PM. THERE WILL BE A LIMIT OF 20 PATRONS PERMITTED IN THE FACILITY AT THE TIME WHILE UNDER PHASE 3.0 OF THE STATE'S AND CITY REOPENING PLAN. MASKS OR FACE COVERINGS ARE REQUIRED FOR PERSONS AGES 5 AND UP TO ENTER THE LIBRARY PER GOVERNOR COOPER'S EXECUTIVE ORDER 163. LIBRARY STAFF WILL INFORMED PATRONS OF UPDATED PROCEDURES UPON VISITING.
For more information about COVID-19 (Coronavirus): Click any of the links below:
For call for assistance and resources concerning coronaviris, call 211, visit nc211.org, or text COVIDNC to 898211 for text alerts
For more information on the state of North Carolina response to the virus, please visit https://www.ncdhhs.gov/coronavirus
For more information on the local response to the virus, please visit Halifax County’s website: www.halifaxnc.com
City of Roanoke Rapids' website : www.roanokerapidsnc.com
New York City School Library System: COVID-19 Children's eBook Collection: COVID-19 Free eBooks : https://nycdoe.libguides.com/COVID-19ebooks/free
School is closed for coronavirus. That means kids are learning from home. Here are some free online educational resources click to go to website.
Seussville - Dr. Suess games and reading
Into the Book - Games with reading strategies
Nat Geo for Kids - Learn about geography and animals
Fun Brain - Math and reading games
PBS Kids - Learning with PBS cartoon characters
FAQ CONCERNING LIBRARY OPERATIONS DURING PRESENT CLOSURE PART ONE
As I am sure you know, Roanoke Rapids Public Library is closed to the public indefinitely due to recommendations by public health authorities and City Administration to reduce the spread of Coronavirus. I hope that many of your questions will be answered in this FAQ. But if not, please don’t hesitate to reach out! Please stay safe and practice physical distancing. We hope to see you soon!
1. When will the library reopen? Right now, we don’t know. We will reopen as soon as public health authorities and City Administration tell us it is safe to do so. Beginning May 18, we will begin offering checkout of material, copies and tax forms.
2. Will the book drop be open? Yes, it is now. We ask that all library materials be returned in the book drop. It is located near the entrance facing Roanoke Avenue.
3. Will I have to pay fines on overdue items? There will be no fines accruing on items while the library is closed. Accounts will be backdated to Wednesday, March 11. A new due date will be assigned to all materials once we know when we will reopen.
ONLINE RESOURCES FOR ADULTS:
Films on Demand (via NC LIVE): http://www.nclive.org/cgi-bin/nclsm?rsrc=379
- Lots of documentaries, movies, TV shows, and how-to videos
- Public performance rights are included in the license for authenticated users
- Share links to content or embed on a webpage
Open Culture: http://www.openculture.com
- The best FREE cultural & educational media on the web
- A game-based learning platform; lots of existing quiz/trivia games covering different topics on the site or create your own
Roanoke Rapids Public Library now has two new digital collections through OverDrive. NC Digital and NC KIDS Digital can be access with a valid Roanoke Rapids library card and a PIN number. Contact or visit the Library for more information.